Comic serial submissions are now closed.
Each year The School Magazine runs at least two comic serials in each issue of the magazine. We publish fantasy, humour, folktales, historical drama, sci-fi and a mixture of these genres. Our readers love humour and are in the 8-12 year old reading age range, so material must be appropriate and appeal to readers across this age range.
Comic serials can be:
- a single-page serial in ten parts or
- a two-page serial in ten parts (20 single pages total, no double spreads).
Submissions are usually invited at the start of June each year, with a deadline for applications the end of July.
Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested comic serial creators should submit their proposed comic serial digitally, including:
- a written synopsis of the comic serial, including episode breakdowns. (Rough art to explain key points can be incorporated.)
- episode 1 to finished art stage (page dimensions are 185mm x 240mm).
- character sheet with rough or finished art, introducing key characters.
Successful creators will need to complete the entire work by an agreed date in December or January.
Comic samples (from L-R): 'Ernest the Carrot: Heaven on Earth?' by Geoffrey McSkimming and Tohby Riddle; 'Captain Congo and the Mystery of Mau' by Ruth Starke and Greg Holfeld; 'Mudkin: A Tale of Tails' by Stephen Axelsen; 'Monkey, Bug, Rabbit and Goose: Treasure of Numbskull Island' by Greg Holfeld