Our Teaching Guides are written by exceptional educators who have the writing skills to share their expertise with colleagues across Australia. If this is you, read on!
Teaching Guide writers work under a written agreement to write a specific number of guides. This is usually one Teaching Guide a month for 10 months, from October to August, matching the annual production cycle of The School Magazine, though the number of issues is negotiable.
- extensive experience teaching English in the primary classroom, or an excellent understanding of the range of skills, knowledge and experience this requires
- excellent writing skills: the task requires writers to write concisely in a collegial tone and to produce work that maintains high standards in grammar, spelling and punctuation while meeting tight deadlines
- a deep understanding of the Australian Curriculum, English and the NSW English Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum
- strong knowledge of engaging and effective ways to teach language, literature and literacy using written and visual texts
- the ability to use templates to produce Word documents to write and edit digital copy.
How to express interest
Contact the Teaching Guide Coordinator to request the application package which will include a writing task. The task requires the writing of a sample lesson plan using a set text and a Word template document. Applicants will be supplied with detailed information about how to write a lesson plan. As the ability to meet tight deadlines is a requirement, applicants will be given a strict deadline to meet when issued the writing task.
For further information, please email email@example.com with ‘TG application’ and your last name in the subject line.